Thursday, September 11, 2008

Obama 2008: A Change in the Wind

My hairdresser scared the sh*t out of me.

You're really voting for Barack Obama? His name scares me, she said.

His name? Here is a woman living in the cosmopolitan center of the Rocky Mountains who thinks John McCain was the better choice for president because his name was Anglo-Saxon? I asked her to please educate herself on Barack Obama before November 4 and not just spout off, what sounded to me like, talking points from Fox Television. The people in this country can't take four more months, much less four more years, of Republican rule.

Dearest *****:

One of my favorite songs from the '80s* took on a whole new meaning when I heard it on the way home. The song speaks to the spirit of Barack Obama and his supporters. The video clips give you perspective on what should and should not be feared. Please watch it, dance along if you'd like, and use the links below to get more information. Your fellow citizens will appreciate you for doing that.

all the best,
michael




Links:



Video Credits:



*Change in the Wind performed by the Boston-based band Face to Face with vocalist Laurie Sargent from their One Big Day LP released in 1988. How prescient are they?

7 comments:

  1. Did you know that Barak Obama is the anagram for Abba Oak Ram? I'm not exactly sure what it means, but it probably means we should vote for the man, irregardless of his party affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and irregardless of his party affiliation is absolutely correct. Thanks for making that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for standing up to one of the pods; dumb people scare me so much, I usually just smile and nod and back slowly away (unless, of course, only half my hair is cut).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that so many people are accepting of the status quo is very scary. Next time you run into someone who feels that way, give me a call and hand them your cell phone. I'll give them what-not; that's the New Yorker in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheech (and Michael) - I'm surprised you don't know who Abba Oak Ram is! I just thought EVERYONE knew that after Barack was at Occidental College, he moved to NYC to finish school at Columbia University (who has one of the worst football teams in the country for 50 years running...). On weekends (unknown to all but a very few), Barack, Instead of studying his political science like other good students,would sneak away and spend time with Dr. Richard Alpert (aka Baba Ram Dass), who taught him a great deal about spirituality and the psycho-active benefits of "mind-altering states of consciousness". When Barack had completed his training in the depths of guru kripa training, Ram Dass gave him an honorary name of the great Tibetan guru, Abba Oak Ram.
    And there you have it.

    (research for these facts were gleaned from Wikipedia and later altered to protect the innocent; despite this, he's got my vote!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, Sam, who would've known. At least, he's got your vote.

    ReplyDelete