Friday, August 22, 2008

My Yiddishe Mama and Her Notes

I often have to search the internet for some Yiddish translation. Why? Because Yiddish is fun. Recently, in a search, I found Mendele: Yiddish literature and language. This seems to be a bunch of text files generated from email, dating as far back as 1991. The email contains a huge amount of Yiddish information - you just have to use Edit - > Find in your browser to search the term you want on a particular page. You just might find something you never knew before.

And in keeping with today's theme, here's a clip with the late, great Sophie Tucker singing My Yiddishe Mama - first in English and then in Yiddish.



And of particular interest to some might be this recording of the late, great Billie Holiday singing My Yiddishe Mama. Who knew? Just like me and Sophie! (Images of Barbra are a nice addition to the clip.)



No comments:

Post a Comment