Sunday, July 19, 2009

Un Bouquet de Fleurs

I was watching an episode of Unsung on TV One when I was finally able to identify a song I hadn't heard in decades. Until this one hour biography, I was never able to figure out who was singing this Kate Bush-esque song. The biography was about Minnie Riperton and the song, Les Fleurs, was the first cut on her first solo album Come to My Garden, released in 1970.

Minnie is now most well-known for her 1975 hit Loving You and her daughter, Maya Rudolph. The songstress and mother died in 1979 at the age of 31. Check out this trippy, flower-ful video of this incredible tune - sung from the point of view of un fleur.

Will somebody wear me to the fair?
Will a lady pin me in her hair?
Will a child find me by a stream?
Kiss my petals and weave me through a dream.

For all of these simple things and much more a flower was born
It blooms to spread love and joy faith and hope to people forlorn

Inside every man lives the seed of a flower
If he looks within he finds beauty and power

Ring all the bells sing and tell the people that be everywhere that the flower has come
Light up the sky with your prayers of gladness and rejoice for the darkness is gone
Throw off your fears let your heart beat freely at the sign that a new time is born


2 comments:

  1. I love that song, although I feel like a Polyphonic Spree song should go along with that video. Was it really Minnie?? I never listened to anything other than the obvious, I'll have to find that CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very Polyphonic Spree-esque but it is Minnie. She recorded in a rock band before this. Quite the one. I've just come across all this recently myself but I remembered Les Fleurs immediately. George hates Loving You. It's the birds.

    ReplyDelete