Thursday, October 16, 2008

Obama: Schlepping for the..

A month after we moved into our house in Denver, I was driving south on Wadsworth Blvd. on my way to the in-laws (if there was a law). Waiting at a red light, I watched a man at the church on the corner cleaning up the letters he hadn't used for the church's sign. It touted the following Sunday's sermon. I thought the sign was funny but I also thought it odd that the cleric wrote it did not understand the implicit meaning of the words. I went back the next day to take a picture.



Unfortunately (I can only assume that) when the cleric saw the sign in the light of day, it (sic) must have finally understood because the words were gone.

A month ago I received an email with a picture from another house of worship. This one used a Yiddish word that I have heard often in my 50 years.



Yiddish is, in a simplistic nutshell, a German language written in Hebrew. In German and Yiddish, shvarts means black. Although I can't answer to any German interpretation I can tell you that shvartser in Yiddish means black person and the word is used as a derogatory term by alter kakers (a derogatory Yiddish term for old person). In this case, the cleric who wrote it did understand the explicit meaning in the words - vote for Barack Obama. I thought it a brilliant and funny attempt to reach the same group of people that brilliant and funny Sarah Silverman wants you to reach in the video, The Great Schlep.



After all this, it turns out that the latter sign was created online at a site called Church Sign Generator. When I saw what you could do on this site, I decided to recreate the former sign using the name of the zealous pentecostal church Sarah Palin left in 2002 - right before her first run for a statewide office. How convenient!

Palin didn't win her first run. I can only hope this generated church sign helps to defeat her (and the alter kaker she's running with) in her first run for national office.

UPDATE 10/23: Even if you and I don't think this race is about race, there are plenty who do.

UPDATE 10/24: People are schlepping.

UPDATE 10/29: More information on her sashay from the WAOG can be found in the Newsweek article, What Are Sarah Palin's Religious Beliefs: Jesus and Witches.


No comments:

Post a Comment