The spider and the pope
Notwithstanding this recent video of the spider and the pope [sic], here are some common superstitions about spiders.
- If you see a spider climbing the wall you will have your dearest wish come true.
- If you see a spider spinning a web you will have an increase in your income due to hard work.
- When spiders spin their webs 'fore noon,
Sunny weather's coming soon.
- When a spider is found upon our clothes, some money is coming towards us.
- A spider descending upon you from the roof is a token that you will soon have legacy from a friend.
- If a spider builds its web across your door, you can expect company.
- If you walk into a spider web, you will meet a friend that day.
- When a man fyndeth a spyder upon his gowne it is a synge to be that daye ryght happye.
- Kill a spider, bad luck yours will be
Until of flies you've swatted fifty-three.
Notwithstanding the first eight misconceptions - too bad the pope [sic] didn't notice the intrusion and swat it off his lovely white gown.